Friday, June 18, 2010

Learning

Last night I spent over an hour reading religious stuff...I was worried the storms would fry my computer so I was even doing it the old fashioned way. I was going back and forth between a Jehovah's Witness handbook and Fortress Introduction to Lutheranism. I noticed some huge differences right off the bat.

The JW handbook was written maybe at a fifth grade reading level and simplified some of the most complex and arguable thoughts in the Bible. So simplified that though I agreed in principal, I could play 'devil's advocate' to nearly every example and demonstration. That made me feel small, but they were the first thoughts that came to mind. I felt like I was being spoon fed something that I should have been given a 'big girl fork' for.

In contrast the Fortress Introduction to Lutheranism was college level reading and while it was a bit heavy, it was still plenty clear to me. I want religion available to all people and that does mean simplifying at times, but picking and choosing too much leads to not getting a clear picture.

I enjoyed when the two different books referred to the same Bible scripture. In all cases the explanation was nearly the same. I'm sure on some things the differences are greater but in the limited areas I read last night, there was major agreement, though I'm sure some people look at those differences and cling to their importance.

Today I have a Bible study with a nice JW lady who has stopped by my house a few times. I'm always a good hit because I enjoy the adult conversation within my day of kid chasing and also because I am curious. My childhood with JW has left me skeptical of their faith and honestly I see it as very unwelcoming and elitist religion. I hope the Bible study maybe helps me see the religion through adult eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment