Friday, June 18, 2010

My First JW Bible Study

Hmm, what can I say, the ladies were absolutely sweet and sincere. They knew their Bibles, made sense, didn't shy away from questions and actually answered a few of my bigger questions from the JW slant. What have I learned so far:

>their small text was supposed to read like a 5th grader could understand it.
>the 'paradise earth' thought wasn't outwardly mentioned but the foundation was squarely set
>allow vs cause was addressed and I'm still thinking about it
Since the world is Satan's playground, given freely by God so that we may learn this great lesson of needing and loving God so we may one day live in Heaven (or paradise Earth, wherever)...there's something there in cause and effect that I need to think on. I don't believe that God comes to push us down or that God causes evil, but maybe it's just the words 'cause and allow' that I'm struggling with.
>The name "Jehovah" is a big major deal to Witnesses (it is in their name) I don't know that I will ever consider it a big hairy deal. What is in a name? It's an honor that it was given, absolutely but when Lutherans sing to "God on High" or "Lord the Almighty" are they slighting God? Oh and don't get me started on the trinity in this sense. I believe God, Jesus and the Spirit are not three in one. God created both to do specific jobs and they are "like God" in the sense they were made of the same stuff as God just as I am my mother's daughter and share her chromosomes, but am so not my mother, but they aren't the Almighty.


So, not bad for about an hour. I'm seeing them again next week. I don't feel pressured to join their church or to cut ties with the other things I'm learning. So I think that will make me want to learn more. These ladies know their stuff and I think that's something I've desired in my church, just the chance to sit down and look at scriptures and discuss what it means, why it's practical and all that good stuff. It's why a few friends and I have a small Bible study so we can learn more. Another idea or opinion is good for me :)

Mathew 7:7-8 "Ask and it will be given to you: seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened for you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened."

No comments:

Post a Comment